Home > Culture > Portrait of a Nation > Mani-utenam footsteps icon


Mani-utenam, which means “Mary’s village”, is a territory acquired by the federal government in 1948, and designated as an Indian Reserve the following year. When it was founded, it was made up primarily of families associated with the Moisie River, or "Mishta shipu". Other families who were settled in Uashat, moved there in the 1950s. Mani-utenam is 16 km east of Sept-Îles.

Phonetic: Ma-ni-ou-te-nam

Number of persons within the community: 3050
Number of persons outside the community: 678
Total: 3728

Territory Name: Maliotenam Reserve
Surface: 527 hectares (1 302.2 acres)
Localisation: Maliotenam is located 16 kilometres east of Sept-Îles.

Tribal Council : Mamuitun

The local economy is based chiefly on fishing, logging, trapping, construction, transport, outfitters, and arts and handicrafts.
There are approximately 50 businesses spread across both territories: food, alimentation, couture, management services, landscaping, heavy equipment, beauty care, electrician, translation, campground, convenience store, shopping centre, canoe-making, restaurant, commercial fishing and marine food processing.
The Musée Shaputuan (museum) was founded in 1998.

École Tshishteshinu (Maliotenam): Pre-Kindergarden to Elementary 6
Number of students : 142

Fire protection: Fire station, fire engine, firefighting equipment
Police services : Provided by the Aboriginal police force recognized under an agreement between the Band council, the Government of Canada and the Government of Quebec.
Medical care: Health centres managed by the Band council under a transfer agreement with Health Canada.
Main community facilities: Outdoor skating rink, church, community radio station, community hall, multi-purpose hall, arena, ball field, campground and outdoor swimming pool,
Housing Units: 397

Statistics Canada (2006 Census)

Top of page